PAA Cycling Club's February 2019 Club Supported Ride FEBRUARY 16, 2019
A clockwise loop of the ACH2 via Upper Big Tujunga
PAA's monthly rides are supported in part by:
Nancy Bond Insurance Services
and MATT Construction.
Join us for a challenging and beautiful ride over the San Gabriel Mountains and up the far side to Angeles Crest Highway. You will be surrounded by peaks over 6,000' as you wind your way up and over Clear Creek Junction. You will enjoy the long rolling turns along Angeles Forest Highway as you work your way out to the base of Upper Big Tujunga Cyn. This section is where the work is as you will have many rises and descents along the way, but it is mostly uphill to ACH amid a more dense section of trees. Then it's ACH back to Red Box where we'll have lunch, provided by your SAG team. An easy descent back to Descanso Gardens and you will have been able to experience some the grandeur and beauty of the San Gabriel Mountains!
Guests are requested to donate $10 to help with support costs.... currently referred to as "fee". until we get this worked out. :)
From Descanso, head up the Angeles Crest Highway to Clear Creek for SAG stop #1 at mile 10. Then left on Angeles Forest Highway to SAG stop #2 at about mile 20 which is the upper Big T intersection. We'll take a right and ascend Upper Big T, enjoying the beautifully paved road and scenery. At mile 28, we arrive at the summit at the ACH intersection. Right Turn from here and we'll head to SAG stop #3 for Lunch at Red Box Picnic Area at mile 33. From there, it's all downhill back to Descanso. You can stop at Clear Creek again if you want some last wonderful minutes in the mountains. From Clear Creek, had back to Descanso to complete the ride.
Route Sheet :https://www.strava.com/routes/16869934
The route offers 45 miles and 5650' feet of climbing through the beautiful San Gabriel Mountains.
Full route rated difficulty is about 7 out of 10. Participants can'flip and return' at Clear Creek or Angeles Forest and Lower Big T or Angeles Forest Highway and UPPER Big T, if desired.
SAG Support: There will be two SAG vehicles offering road support meet riders at SAG stops.
SAG Stop 1) Mile 10 Clear Creek (bathrooms available)
SAG Stop 2) Mile 17 AFF and Upper Big T Intersection - uwater
SAG Stop 3. Mile 26 Top of Upper Big T and ACH Intersection
SAG Stop 4) Mile 37 Red Box Canyon for lunch and refreshments.
SAG 1: Russel Burt
SAG 2 Dennis McCullough
RIDE LEADER: Lon Bender
- All riders should be prepared to do minor repairs on the road (e.g., change a flat)
- Due to the challenging nature of most club supported rides, groups will invariably form and split up en route depending on riders levels of fitness, training goals, etc.
- For your safety, please wear a helmet while riding.
- Inclement weather may result in a change of the route or cancellation of event.
- Guests are welcome, but are required to RSVP and fill out a ride waiver.
- 7:00am Un Seasoned Climbers
- 8:00am Seasoned Climbers
- 8:30 Racers
PASADENA ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
WAIVER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY
In consideration for participating in and by his or her participation in any events for, organized by, through, or in connection with Pasadena Athletic Association, a California non-profit corporation (“PAA”), or any other physical activity in connection therewith (collectively, “Events”), the undersigned (the “Participant”) freely agrees to the provisions of this Waiver and Release of Liability (the “Waiver”).
1. Participant understands and acknowledges that cycling is an inherently dangerous sport. Events and related activities, whether Participant participates as a rider, official, coach, mechanic, volunteer, spectator or otherwise, may involve the risk of serious injury, including death or property damage. Participant fully assumes all risks associated with participating in Events, including, but not limited to: dangers associated with man-made and natural jumps; the dangers of collision with pedestrians, vehicles, other participants, and fixed or moving objects; the dangers arising from surface hazards, including pot holes, equipment failure, inadequate safety equipment, use of equipment or materials provided by PAA, the Event organizer and others, Participant’s own negligence and weather conditions. Participant forever releases, waives, covenants not to sue and discharges PAA and its directors, officers, employees, affiliates, successors, members, coaches, participants, volunteers, sponsors, instructors, representatives, agents and assigns (collectively, the “Releasees”), from all liability to Participant and/or Participant’s personal representatives and heirs, and agrees to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend Releasees against any and all losses, damages, liabilities, deficiencies, claims, actions, judgments, settlements, interest, awards, penalties, fines, costs, demands, expenses, and attorneys’ fees, including but not limited to those relating to or arising from any injury to the person or property of Participant, liability arising from the Participant’s death, deformity, personal injury, property damage, theft or actions of any kind that may hereafter occur, all to the maximum extent permitted by law (collectively, “Losses”), whether caused by the negligence or more culpable act or omission of Participant, the Releasees, other Event participants, or otherwise relating to, arising from, or occurring during Events (collectively, “Indemnified Claims”). Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Waiver, each Releasee may defend an Indemnified Claim with counsel of his or her own choosing and without the Participant’s involvement. If a Releasee assumes control of the defense, the Participant shall reimburse the Releasee promptly and periodically for the costs incurred in defending against the Indemnified Claim (including attorneys’ fees and expenses), and shall remain responsible to such Releasees for any other Losses. Participant shall give prompt written notice to Releasees of any proposed settlement of an Indemnified Claim. Participant may not, without Releasees’ prior written consent, settle or compromise any claim, or consent to the entry of any judgment regarding which indemnification is being sought this Waiver. Participant acknowledges that this Waiver is a contract with legal and binding consequences and applies to all Events.
2. Participant agrees that he or she is personally financially responsible for any medical
attention, including first aid, needed or requested during Events or resulting from any injury during or in
connection with Events, and releases and forever discharges PAA from any Losses which arise or may
arise on account of any such medical attention.
3. Participant will comply with all stated terms and conditions for participation in the Events, including, without limitation, any rules provided by PAA, its coaches, volunteers, instructors and sponsors, and Events officials and sponsors. Participant will wear a helmet that protects against serious head injury and assumes all responsibility and liability for the selection of such a helmet and any maintenance, modifications or attachments thereto. Participant agrees to continually ride and otherwise participate in the Events so as to avoid endangering oneself or others.
4. Participant consents to any pictures, videos, recordings or voice likeness to appear in any documentary or promotional materials of the Releasees and without any compensation to Participant.
5. Participant consents to the release by any third party to Releasees and their insurance carrier the name and medical information that may relate solely to any injury or death arising from participation in the Events.
6. PARTICIPANT HAS READ THIS WAIVER AND FULLY UNDERSTANDS ITS TERMS AND CONTENT. PARTICIPANT IS AWARE THAT THIS IS A RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND ACKNOWLEDGES THAT SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS ARE SURRENDERED BY AGREEING IT, AND DOES SO FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY.
7. Participant agrees that the above representations are contractually binding, are not mere recitals, that this Waiver is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by law and that if any portion of this Waiver is held invalid, it is agreed that the remaining provisions of this Waiver shall continue in full force and effect.
8. If Participant is under the age of 18 (a “Minor”), Participant’s parent or guardian represents that he/she is, in fact, acting in such capacity, consents to the Minor’s participation in the Events, and agrees individually and on behalf of the Minor to this Waiver. Participant’s parent or guardian releases, waives, covenants not to sue, and discharges the Releasees from all liability to the Minor and his/her personal representatives and heirs, and agrees to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend Releasees against any and all Losses, including those Losses which may be imposed upon Releasees because of any defect in or lack of such capacity to so act on behalf of the Minor and parents or legal guardian.
Notice Address: c/o Polsinelli LLP, 2049 Century Park East, Los Angeles, CA 90067